May/June 2023 Kids Indie Next List
“A gentle and loving book about what it means to be big. Harrison’s stunning art style perfectly encapsulates all the beautiful roundness of being a child, and encourages love and warmth for yourself if you are navigating the world as big.”
— Tildy Lutts, Belmont Books, Belmont, MA
Longlisted for the National Book Award! This deeply moving story shares valuable lessons about fitting in, standing out, and the beauty of joyful acceptance, from a New York Times bestselling and award-winning creator.
The first picture book written and illustrated by award-winning creator Vashti Harrison traces a child’s journey to self-love and shows the power of words to both hurt and heal. With spare text and exquisite illustrations, this emotional exploration of being big in a world that prizes small is a tender portrayal of how you can stand out and feel invisible at the same time.
About the Author
Vashti Harrison is the #1 New York Times bestselling creator of Little Leaders, Little Dreamers, and Little Legends and the illustrator of Lupita Nyong’o’s Sulwe, Matthew Cherry’s Hair Love, Andrea Beaty's I Love You Like Yellow, and Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic’s Hello, Star, among others. She earned her BA in studio art and media studies from the University of Virginia and her MFA in film/video from CalArts, where she rekindled a love for drawing and painting. Vashti lives in Brooklyn, New York, and invites you to visit her at vashtiharrison.com or on Instagram and Twitter @vashtiharrison.
A New York Times Bestseller
Longlisted for the National Book Award
A Kids’ Indie Next List Pick
An Amazon Best Book of the Year
* "Bestselling creator Harrison has produced another classic that belongs on every child’s shelf—this is one that will nurture little ones and help them to see the beauty in themselves.... A healing balm with the power to make the world a bit kinder."—Kirkus, starred review
* "This emotionally and socially resonant picture book stands out with its exceptional strength, beauty, and grace."—Booklist, starred review
* "This book resonates with a potential emotional impact that is immense....This inspiring and highly relatable title could be used with readers of any age to discuss topics of body image and self-love."—School Library Journal, starred review
* "[An] ode to big self-love... Full of important truths about adultification and anti-fat bias, Harrison’s deceptively simple telling tenderly offers the self-affirming beliefs that kids are kids in any body and that it’s okay to take up space."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Straightforward enough for even very young children to understand and appreciate, but with a vital message for adults too, Big is one of the year’s most exceptional picture books."—BookPage, starred review
* "The text is spare but pointed; Harrison’s emotionally powerful, pink-hued illustrations focus on her protagonist’s inner experience... This book offers readers an opportunity to remember that we all deserve love and respect—no matter what size we are."—Horn Book, starred review
"Consistently this book’s design works in service to the story, rendering what could have been didactic instead expansive and creative.... One of the best books of the year."—Betsy Bird, Fuse 8
“A gentle and loving book about what it means to be big. Harrison’s stunning art style perfectly encapsulates all the beautiful roundness of being a child, and encourages love and warmth for yourself if you are navigating the world as big.”—Tildy Lutts, Belmont Books (Belmont, MA)